Friday, August 28, 2009

September's Read: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld


Tally Youngblood lives in a futuristic society that acculturates its citizens to believe that they are ugly until age 16 when they'll undergo an operation that will change them into pleasure-seeking "pretties." Anticipating this happy transformation, Tally meets Shay, another female ugly, who shares her enjoyment of hoverboarding and risky pranks. But Shay also disdains the false values and programmed conformity of the society and urges Tally to defect with her to the Smoke, a distant settlement of simple-living conscientious objectors. Tally declines, yet when Shay is found missing by the authorities, Tally is coerced by the cruel Dr. Cable to find her and her compatriots–or remain forever "ugly." Tally's adventuresome spirit helps her locate Shay and the Smoke. It also attracts the eye of David, the aptly named youthful rebel leader to whose attentions Tally warms. However, she knows she is living a lie, for she is a spy who wears an eye-activated locator pendant that threatens to blow the rebels' cover. Ethical concerns will provide a good source of discussion as honesty, justice, and free will are all oppressed in this well-conceived dystopia. Characterization, which flirts so openly with the importance of teen self-concept, is strong, and although lengthy, the novel is highly readable with a convincing plot that incorporates futuristic technologies and a disturbing commentary on our current public policies. Fortunately, the cliff-hanger ending promises a sequel.–Susan W. Hunter, Riverside Middle School, Springfield, VT
Grades 6 and up
448 pages

6 comments:

  1. I really liked this book. I liked the way it made me think about the way we do things. Just because everyone does it, doesn't mean it's good or right. It was interesting to see how society molded the children from birth to teach them they were ugly and to look forward to the "pretty operation". It was interesting to find that there were a few elite in society that knew the whole truth about the operaion and no one else was aware of what the full ramifications were of turning pretty.

    Sadly enough, I think there are more paralells to our current society than I care to mention. I'll be thinking about this one for awhile longer.
    This was a very clean book. No language, and very mild romance (holding hands, a kiss or two). Although I think it would be appropriate for any age, I don't think you could fully benefit from the lessons in the book until maybe ages 12 and up. I do plan on reading the next book in the series, "Pretties".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...sounds interesting. I'll have to put it on my list. Have you read The Book Thief yet? I just noticed it is in your vote for November. It is SO good. I can't recommend it enough. His writing is beautiful. I read most sentences again and again just to taste them. They were delicious. I really like Goose Girl, too (although I liked Book of a Thousand Days a tiny bit better). Here's another recommendation for you: These is My Words. If you haven't already, I think you should read it. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry. I could have sworn that I had done my review on this book already. I really enjoyed this book! It was full of adventure and it was fun because it seemed like a lot of the adventure was accidental. It was a pager-turner.

    This book also made you think about how important it is to understand society and its choices. Things aren't always as wonderful as they appear to be so being fully informed more important than fitting in.

    I highly recommend this book and everyone I've talked to that has read it just can't seem to put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVED it!!! I'm on the 3rd sequel, The Specials. I CANNOT put it down!! I loved how it got me to think and how exciting it gets right from the starting. I LOVE the twists it has and irony and i think which is what kept me in suspense and ready to read more. I DEFINITELY recommend this book and its seqels to anyone wanting a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too, really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the underlying theme that people NEED agency and will do anything in order to preserve their ability to think for themselves. I liked the original storyline and the underlying currents that parallel our own society. I've already read the next one, Pretties, and can't wait to get my hands on the next one so I can see if Tally can finally save the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess these books have been out for a while but suddenly it is difficult to get my hands on the rest of the books in the series because they are always checked out from the library.

    It made me wonder if the reason they are so popular again is becuase of the proposals of further government regulation in our government today. I liked Shan'l's comment about the importance of agency. Having agency is such an intregal part of human existence. We are naturally inclined to resist anyone trying to have control over us. We function so much better by being educated and allowed to choose the correct path.

    Control should be sought through education, not conformity. Ignorace stifles agency while knowlenge enables it.

    ReplyDelete