Thursday, July 30, 2009

August's Read: Night of the Howling Dogs by Graham Salisbury


On the Big Island of Hawaii, Dylan's Scout troop hikes down into the desolation of an ancient lava flow to camp on a small beach below the volcano. It's beautiful. Peaceful. But there's a problem: Louie Domingo. He and Dylan share a secret history, and it lies like a shark beneath the surface of everything they do.
...Until the world comes apart.
Foreshadowed by two mysterious howling dogs, a disaster of unearthly proportions strikes. No one is spared its horror. But over the next hours Dylan learns the true meaning of leadership and the will to survive. More amazing still is that this story actually happened.
Reading Level: Ages 9 and up
208 Pages

3 comments:

  1. I read this book in one day. It was easy reading. I thought this book would be more about outdoor survival skills because I pictured them being stranded for an extended period of time. This book is more about courage, determination and leadership. I enjoyed it. I also expected this to be the true story but I learned that this is a fictional story based on true events. The author knew the person that experienced this and even went to this location with him and learned all about it. The end of the book even has a photograph of the real boy scout troop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also was able to finish this book in one day. This book seems to be written about boys for boys. The communication and relationships weren't well defined, which I imagine would be perfectly swell for boys.

    I did enjoy reading about how each of the boys in the Scout troop handled the disaster in their own way. I imagine that's how it would be in real life. I also wondered what character I would mirror in an event like this one. I also enjoyed seeing the relationship of Dylan and Louie develop as they go from enemies to partners as they learn to respect each others' strengths.

    I would recommend this book for boys ages 9 to 12.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that I didn't really care for the book. Half-way through nothing of interest really had happened and I was ready to ditch the book. The writing style wasn't very captivating and I wouldn't recommend this book because of its boring factor. I liked that it was a true story. There. I said something nice.

    ReplyDelete