Friday, August 28, 2009

Coraline


I haven't seen the new movie out and gratefully so. I like to read the book first before I see a movie so that I can experience it first within my own imagination. (It's always better that way!) This is a super quick read, but I really enjoyed it. I liked the eeriness of the story and am always intrigued at how authors can think up a storyline like this. Very interesting. I also enjoyed the message it conveyed. I like that Coraline decided she could never love her "other mother" even if she did give her all the things she could ever wish for. She couldn't love her because her "other mother" was evil and had no love to return. I liked that Coraline realized and appreciated her real family life after seeing what it could be like otherwise. Every child of mine should read this book and study it every night so that they can realize how good they got it even when I ignore them half the time and feed them "recipes".

1 comment:

  1. We listened to this book on CD last year. The author is actually the reader, as well. I enjoyed this aspect because I felt like the story was told as it was intended. We all loved the book, except my 3 year old that thought some parts were scary. On the CD version, there is also background mood music at times. She could tell it was scary by the music.

    We watched the movie in 3D recently, and sadly, I cannot recommend it. I felt they altered it more than they had to. The added a main character that was never in the book and left out the scene I was most looking forward to seeing.

    But the real reason I cannot recommed it is because of the scene with the two actresses in the "other world" doing their performance. They are both very well endowed women and their outfits are skipmy at best. The animators play up their bouncing bulges and it is quite a long scene. We finally had to fast forward it because we were so uncomfortable. The 3D-ness wasn't amazing, either. I say pass on the movie and enjoy the beautiful story as it is.

    It is still fun to tease every once in awhile about being their "other mother".

    ReplyDelete